Financial PlanningGetting from here to there
We all have goals and dreams in life such as a comfortable retirement, funding our children’s education, buying a second home or traveling the world. Most of these require significant funding to achieve. However, many individuals and families do not have a well thought out, written plan for achieving their goals.
Nebulous plans and wishful thinking often lead to disappointment. Carrington Financial Planning develops financial plans that clearly explain the most efficient way to use your financial resources to achieve your goals.
The Financial Planning Process
1. Initial Consultation
We discuss the client’s financial planning needs and our services and fees. We use this free session to decide if we are a good match for the client’s needs.
2. Sign Planning Agreement
The agreement allows for three to four months of unlimited financial planning. This is ample time to gather information, create a financial summary, discuss and define financial goals and issues, and develop recommendations.
3. Gather Financial Information
We provide access to a secure online questionnaire that steps you through the data gathering process. We also request recent copies of your earnings and leave statement, TSP statement, tax return, and other relevant documents.
4. Create Financial Summary
The client is presented with a financial summary that includes a personal balance sheet, net worth statement, and an inventory of assets, liabilities, and insurance. The summary allows us to fully understand the client’s financial situation and to identify any problem areas.
5. Discuss Goals and Issues
Now that we have all the background work completed, we can create strategies for resolving issues and achieving financial goals.
6. Recommend Actions
At this point we are able to make specific recommendations for each financial issue. This most often includes recommendations for the following areas:
- Retirement scenarios: We create very accurate “what if” retirement scenarios based on various retirement dates, and your income from FSPS, Social Security, TSP, part-time work, and other income sources.
- Investments: TSP allocation, IRA accounts, and overall investments.
- Insurance: FEGLI or other life insurance, liability (personal and professional), healthcare, and homeowners.
- College savings plans.
- Home purchase strategies.
- Estate planning.
7. Implement Plan
We assist clients in implementing our recommendations, as needed.
8. Monitor Plan
Since the standard planning agreement is time-limited, the client will monitor the plan according to a schedule we provide. Clients for whom we have an ongoing relationship, montoring is provided through periodic reviews.
The Services We Offer
We have two ways of working with clients:
1. Short-term engagement to create a financial plan. This option allows for three months of collaborative planning to address all of a client’s planning needs.
2. Ongoing financial planning support. This option is available to clients who want us to manage their investment portfolio. It includes continuous financial planning support in additon to investment management.
Flexible Meeting Options
Client meetings can be conducted in person, by phone or via web-conference.
The industry-leading software we use for developing financial plans allows clients to participate in the planning process and to create multiple “what if” scenarios.